Winter is coming yet again! Anyone using compressed air equipment should run some simple checks to make sure all production is protected, when the ambient temperature drops near or below freezing. The good news is that with a bit of planning ahead, you will be able to avoid any issues on site caused by the changing weather.
10 tips to beat winter temperatures
Follow these 10 quick steps to safeguard your compressed air installation and your facility throughout the winter months:
- Check if your equipment is supplied with winterized diesel fuel
- Only use pure coolant, do not dilute with water
- Make sure drains don’t contain water, to avoid blocking due to ice formation
- To avoid freezing at the outlet of the drains, check if the drains are actually clear when the unit is running
- Evacuate the water from the drains before stopping the unit to avoid freezing damage or blocked drains
- Make sure there is no water underneath the unit to avoid slipping
- Start up your units weekly, and keep them running for at least an hour to avoid start-up problems
- Connect and switch on the heaters and battery charger (if applicable)
- Make sure louvres and ventilation of the unit are snow- and ice-free
- At ambient temperatures below 0°, the fridge dryers should be moved inside or properly protected against freezing temperatures
- After use, always switch off the battery
- In case of emergency or questions: contact Atlas Copco Rental!
Did you like this blog post? You might also like this story.
When a compressor has to beat Siberian winter temperatures: In November 2017, a Siberian company with a production factory in the coldest part of Russia, needed up to 43.000m³/h of 100% oil-free air during the preventive maintenance of its turbo compressors. As it was an outdoor set-up in an environment with temperatures that regularly drop to -40°C, a tailored solution was designed and validated for these extreme cold temperatures.
Latest posts by Seppe Van Beneden (see all)
- Winter is coming yet again! How to avoid issues with your compressed air equipment? - October 11, 2018
- Sustainable productivity: from decommissioning to reconversion – the future of aging oil and gas infrastructure - October 8, 2018
- Four applications that will help you using your generator to the fullest - March 28, 2018